Thursday, September 27, 2007

Spare the jersey, spoil the tourney (apparently mine was good luck)

I hate that I'm so passionate about soccer that one game can put me in a bad mood for the whole day. Stupid goalkeeper swap, stupid coaching, stupid stupid referee-ing, stupid communication breakdown, stupid subbing. Poor Hope, poor Leslie (also stupid, but I don't want to be too hard on her), poor Boxy, poor Lil ('cause this was her year, her team, her Cup), poor fans that woke up at 4am to watch every game, poor women's league that isn't getting the good press they need. Did I mention that I hate that I was in a bad mood all day? I mean, I think it's important to be passionate about things, even important to be extremely passionate about some things. It keeps people from being boring. But I wish that I could be passionate about history or art or music or something that wouldn't depress me so much when a debacle such as this morning occurs.
As if soccer wasn't enough to ruin my day, I got a lot of questions wrong today. The attendings are going to stop asking. One wasn't my fault because I was misinformed by a preceptor. One was only sort of my fault because technically the attending didn't ask the full question before telling me I was wrong. Still, big blow to the self-esteem.
The glaring bright spot of the day was that someone had a birthday in the billing department and I got free cake and icecream. Good cake too, not some crappy store-bought day-old yuckiness. Homemade chocolate with whipped cream frosting and butterfinger crumbles. I don't like butterfinger, but I sure liked this cake.
That's all for now because I have to study for a little while. But just know that I am still worked up enough to hit a punching bag for several minutes. It comes and goes. Gone during the cake and icecream, back because I'm writing about it and reliving the anguish. Hopefully gone tonight so I can sleep. Hasta!

1 comment:

Laura Zaps said...

also stupid sports writers that fail to blame the ref or ryan for huge huge mistakes. at least he'll go down in history as the biggest lost in US history, and so far refs who red card US players have a very short career, so let's hope that continues.

I reserve the right to make this blog as worthless to read as I feel like, and also to write as infrequently as I deem necessary. Just thought I'd let you know since I finally decided to share my blog.