Friday, October 12, 2007

Indiana, my Indiana

I don't really have anything to say, but it's been so long since I've written that I figured I should come up with something. Lately the majority of my thoughts have been occupied by Indiana. I am so looking forward to:
  • being done with this rotation (that fortuitously coincides with starting my next one so I think it is slightly related to Indiana)
  • getting to see family that have been long absent from my life. Growing up in Colorado isn't an experience I'd trade for anything, but it sure would have been nice to see a little more of the relatives. I'm hoping to make up for 23 years of once/twice yearly visits with 5 weeks of non-stop Michelle time.
  • Steak'n'Shake. I can have it anytime I want. Ditto with White Castle, although I'm hoping not to want sliders too often.
  • COLTS!!! I have tickets to see the reigning Super Bowl champs take on the Chiefs (and who wouldn't love to root against the Chiefs?). I just don't know where those tickets will be yet. Section 302 all the way at the top of the dome behind the endline...vs. Club seats 20 rows back from the 45-yard line. We're still working out the details. Nevertheless, you can understand why it will be one of the many highlights of my trip.
  • Martinsville Candy Kitchen. This should perhaps be at the top of the list. With any luck at all, I will able to hand-pull candy canes in the store that my great-grandfather opened. How cool is that?!? (said in the voice of the guy on While You Were Out whose wife built him a Korean garden in his back yard) I am thrilled to be able to visit the place responsible for my unrelenting sweet tooth and take lots and lots of pictures in the process.
  • Thanksgiving. Last Thanksgiving was wonderful as it was the first true Thanksgiving spent in Indiana. Lots of great food, but more importantly, finally a celebration of the holiday giving thanks with the people I'm most thankful for. After years of soccer tournaments, subpar skiing, filet mignon in lieu of turkey, I'm excited to again have the chance to do it right.
  • Soccer. Seeing Mary's games has been one of this year's highlights and I'll hopefully get to take in a few final games at the MVC tourney in Evansville. I'm banking on a strong showing from Creighton to allow the family to see some good soccer and to allow Mary to finish on a good note.

Gosh, I guess I had enough to say after all. It's disappointing that Omaha still feels so little like home, but when I have Indiana to look forward to, I don't seem to mind so much.

No comments:

I reserve the right to make this blog as worthless to read as I feel like, and also to write as infrequently as I deem necessary. Just thought I'd let you know since I finally decided to share my blog.