Sunday, May 18, 2008

How 'bout a little rematch?

There have been a few firsts for me in the past year, notably first degree (happens to be a doctorate), first salaried job (yet to start), first time living solo (again, yet to start), first professional and college football games. But I'm pretty sure that the "first" taking place on July 13th will top all of those...well, maybe not the doctorate. It's certainly going to be more entertaining and exciting for me though.

Check it out here!!!!

That's right my friends! I am going to see Abby Wambach, Carli Lloyd, Hope Solo (hopefully), Heather O'Reilly, and all of my other fave players at Dick's Sporting Goods Park right here in Denver. Who'da thought? For years I've been complaining that all the WNT games are played in L.A. or NY or D.C. or any other number of two-lettered cities. But the best women's soccer team in the world is coming to my doorstep. Or my old doorstep, because by then I'll be in Omaha and I still have to convince my boss that I deserve a day off two weeks into my residency. It's a Sunday so my chances are slightly improved but the Med Center still owns me for 365 days.































The game will be televised on ESPN, so mark your calendars and watch for Laura and I in our (sort of) matching Abby Wambach jerseys--hers is gold, mine is white. I'm also pushing for a massive sign, wordage yet to be determined.

And did I mention that the game happens to be against Brazil who seriously massacred us in the semifinal game of the WWC last year? We are looking for some revenge against one of the most individually talented teams out there. My nerves probably won't be able to handle it. But at least this time when I'm screaming in frustration or celebration, it will be along with 14,000 other rowdy fans and not in my living room at 4 in the morning. Plus, maybe this time we'll start the right goalkeeper, and if the six-goal stomping at Canada's expense is any indication, our offense is hitting their stride as well.

In a final sporting world comment, here's my well wishes for Big Brown to tackle the Belmont with flying colors in three weeks, because 30 years without a Triple Crown is a little too long.

No comments:

I reserve the right to make this blog as worthless to read as I feel like, and also to write as infrequently as I deem necessary. Just thought I'd let you know since I finally decided to share my blog.