Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cinemagic

Well folks, I have an hour to kill until the 2-HOUR SEASON PREMIERE OF CHUCK!!! and I am stuck at my parents' house because I promised Kelly I'd watch it with her but she won't drive to my house to watch it because she doesn't want to drive herself home afterward. So I agreed to stay here until 8:00. And while an hour isn't nearly enough time to finish this blog, I figured I could start it because I've been wanting to write on this topic for some time. In no particular order, my favorite movie scenes of all time:

While You Were Sleeping- dinner scene, a la Beef and Nazis. It probably takes a few times through to catch every bit of conversation and the randomness in between. "You like brunettes." And it makes me laugh every time. Kind of like the lost "Go to your room" when Mary tells the Callahans that Lucy is pregnant. It's like knowing a secret that nobody knows to watch that scene and know exactly what's going on. And it reminds me of the wonderfully chaotic Zapapas family Christmas brunch.

Waitress- "Dear Baby, I hope someday somebody wants to hold you for 20 minutes straight and that's all they do. They don't pull away. They don't look at your face. They don't try to kiss you. All they do is wrap you up in their arms and hold on tight, without an ounce of selfishness in it." Enough said. Also, every scene with Andy Griffith.

The World is Not Enough- any scene in which Denise Richards says something like "Do you wanna put that in English for those of us who don't speak spy." Because it cracks me up. She can't act, she is not even remotely believable as a nuclear scientist and she makes somewhat of a sissy Bond girl. And I love it. One of my fave Bond movies because it is so atrociously ridiculous.

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King- Pippin singing to Denethor as Faramir leads the assault on Osgiliath. The song is hauntingly beautiful and it brings the scale of a massive movie down to a personal level. It's been a long time since I've seen the movie, so I don't remember much except the ache that you feel as these men ride to their deaths. I could pick any number of moments from the trilogy (Aragorn kicking an orc helmet in anguish when he thinks Merry and Pippin have been killed, Arwen and Aragorn's reunion, Sunrise on the Battle at Helm's Deep), but this one in particular showed great acting, screenplay, score, direction, etc. For all I know about the technicalities of film-making anyway.

The Ultimate Gift- "My dream was a perfect day, and I'm just finishing it." Jason finally getting it, doing everything to bring joy to those that he loves. It helps that it included horseback riding. And Alexie Gilmore is charming as she realizes that Emily set the whole thing up for her. It makes me yearn with my whole heart to have a day like that.

Return to Me- There are so many quotes and little gems of moments to choose from. Picking up the red phone, answering it with "haven't you?" "She's not a Buick." "I will not have that name said in this house." "Is that possible?" "Potty-mouth's gonna change the bed." But the movie is stolen by Carroll O'Connor, Robert Loggia, Eddie Jones and William Bronder. Any scene with the four of them is brilliant! Especially when Angelo is screaming "He's got him in a choke hold." Love it! They play off each other so well.

Serendipity- The whole first 8 minutes or so. John Cusack being his adorable charming self and a world-champ flirt. That somebody could turn a chance encounter in a huge city into a romantic evening is encouraging to say the least. He's just so nonchalant about the whole thing, letting the night go where it may, and yet making it painfully obvious that he's trying so hard.

Ok, it's been 45 minutes but I'm getting kicked off the computer. Part two to be written at a later date. Sorry I didn't get as many in as I'd hoped. Cheers.

And NO MORE MR. NICE SPY.

No comments:

I reserve the right to make this blog as worthless to read as I feel like, and also to write as infrequently as I deem necessary. Just thought I'd let you know since I finally decided to share my blog.