Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013

I'm really ready for 2014.  I'm not sure I've ever been so happy to hit the end of a year, or so optimistic about the year to come.  It's not that 2013 was a bad year.  I got to see a lot, try a lot, do a lot.  I accomplished my New Year's Resolution with aplomb.  See one new place: San Francisco.  Try three new things outside my comfort zone: skydive (that should count for two), leading a small faith-sharing group with total strangers (I know it doesn't sound like all that much of a stretch, but trust me), asking a guy out (started with promise, ended up going over like a lead balloon, don't ask).

And there were a ton of other really awesome moments: Mass on top of a 14er, a killer going-away party from my top-notch coworkers, snowmobiling the Continental Divide, speaking at a couple of conferences (that counts as outside my comfort zone too), a long overdue trip back to Omaha, some good craft time, some good craft beer time, Laura moving home, volunteering, etc.

So I can't figure out why I'm so ready to move on, why 2014 is calling my name so urgently.  Part of it is the really awesome stuff in store (Nicaragua, Ireland, Nashville), part of it is a need to settle into the new job and reassure myself that I made the right decision, part of it is the looming big 3-0.  But if I've ever ended a year so completely convinced that I have the best support crew to help me with the transition, this would be it.  So, raise your glass to hope.  Here's to a great 2014!

No comments:

I reserve the right to make this blog as worthless to read as I feel like, and also to write as infrequently as I deem necessary. Just thought I'd let you know since I finally decided to share my blog.