Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Goodness, Truth and Beauty

Hard to believe it's been 2 1/2 months since I've blogged.  Not much I've wanted to say, I suppose.  But as a community is grieving, having just returned from a prayer service for the Arapahoe family, I am a little overwhelmed by a surprising sentiment.  Through the tragedy, the tears, the sorrow, the hurt, I am reminded over and over of a God who is bigger than all of that.  The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it.  The reminders have not been big revelations.  I don't know where this community will find hope.  I don't know what positive things will come from this horrific event.  But the little things are everywhere for me.  At the prayer service, I just kept seeing the goodness, truth and beauty in my life.  Fr. Mel cracking jokes in the pew behind us.  Members of my extended family, at my second home, greeting one another with fierce hugs.  Power of Love sung beautifully, with meaning I've never heard before.  A powerful display of what prayer can do.  Dolly Parton on the radio on the way home.  You know, little things.  But they point to my foundation, my hope, my passion, and my purpose.  And I don't want to forget that.

So, I am proposing a challenge to myself.  Every day, I will write down one thing of truth, one thing of beauty, and one thing of goodness that I find throughout my day.  I'll try it for a week, a month, hopefully a year.  Because I want to let those things be the last thing on my mind as I fall asleep.  I want those things to be the first thing I remember when I wake up.  I want them to be the reminder throughout the mess of the day that our God loves us with a powerful love, and that nothing can separate us from that.  Nothing is more important than that.  Nothing is more worth fighting for.

No comments:

I reserve the right to make this blog as worthless to read as I feel like, and also to write as infrequently as I deem necessary. Just thought I'd let you know since I finally decided to share my blog.