Monday, January 25, 2010

MLIA for Pharmacists

Well folks, I had envisioned grand things for my 100th post. No such luck. Maybe I'll think up some phenomenon for number 101. In the mean time, I wanted to jot down a funny story even though nobody gets pharmacist humor. Last night at work, I was in the IV room which normally doesn't involve a large amount of critical thought. However, I was filling a dose for 998mg of acyclovir (10mg/kg on a large kid), after having just a couple days prior found out that our ID team likes to cap IV doses at 800mg, even on the really big kids. I mentioned this to the other pharmacists working, hoping that one of them would have time to call a resident and ask about a dose change. About forty minutes later, the dose change came through. I poked my head out of the IV room and yelled, "Sonia, thanks for taking care of that acyclovir." She looked at me like I was crazy. Nobody had called the resident. Good thing our medical residents are telepathic. I might never have to make a phone call again. MLIA.

Also this week at work- events that make me think that doctors/nurses should sometimes be required to experience what they subject their patients to. Cases in point: A 1,000ml vancomycin enema. A 5.8ml IM injection. Running IVIG at nearly 3x the max rate, giving the kid rigors, HA, LOTS OF PAIN!!! And, after taste tests, any po suspension dose of clindamycin, levofloxacin, dexamethasone, ranitidine, acetylcysteine, etc.

And that's enough thoughts of work for my day off.

No comments:

I reserve the right to make this blog as worthless to read as I feel like, and also to write as infrequently as I deem necessary. Just thought I'd let you know since I finally decided to share my blog.