Friday, February 1, 2008

Always look on the bright side of life (doo doo, doo doo doo doo doo doo)

Well friends, it's been a rough couple of weeks for me. I've struggled with physical ailments (temporary, then permanent, crowns on two teeth; another filling; the never-ending cold; extreme tooth pain; many sleepless nights), mental anguish (despairing over the thought of never finding a fulfilling career, having idiot moments in my first residency interview, having biggest idiot moment of life during the worst rush hour Denver has ever seen--don't want to talk about it at the risk of getting worked up again), spiritual ups and downs, having time slip by and realizing I only have a week left in Colorado, being a bad friend and not returning phone calls, etc. But, in order to not be in a bad mood when I go to sleep tonight, I wanted to take a look back over these two weeks and pick any shining moments of joy or peace or consolation.

Tonight tops the list (if I ignore my tooth pain), with a couple wonderful hours spent at STM for the clergy appreciation Mass and dinner. Of course I would have a good time because it's all my favorite people: Tschumpers, DeBarts, Weisigers, Contrerases, Stempers, Mama Sue, and so on. Food was good, Mass was pretty good (I mean, it's Mass, so come on...but I was a little distracted), company was great. And of course I'm ignoring the fact that I have to leave all this in a week.

My ice cream that I ate last night--extreme moose tracks--to console myself after the traffic fiasco was very consoling.

We had a potluck at work this week, and in typical me fashion, I didn't bring anything and ate plenty. But we had leftovers for the rest of the week, so I don't think anyone felt offended. Pretty good sandwichs and amazing cookies.

Last weekend, I got to relive the innocence and freedom of a high school freshman, or several, at the Machebeuf bball game. I think maybe I should be concerned that I fit in so easily with a bunch of 14 and 15-year-olds. But really, the whole night was about reminding me how much I love to laugh, and how easy it is to fit in with people or feel like you've known someone forever when you spend the whole night doubled over in hysterics. Plus, pie and icecream. Definition of cool.

My highlight of last week, during the week at least, was my Chuck sandwich that I got to share with Kelly. I had never seen Chuck before and we got to watch two episodes on Thursday. So high quality. Very innocent, fairly clean, cute and funny. I just wish there were more new episodes to look forward to.

We had a great conversation at Oasis this week when we were supposed to be discussing Screwtape Letters and actually ended up sharing how we deal with desolation and dry prayer spells and so on. It was great to have a real conversation, both serious and humorous at times, with people that I didn't know very well but still felt very comfortable with. And then we played Apples to Apples, which usually turns out to be a good time. Even when the card that won for "depressing" was "my love life."

I've had amazing breakfasts for the last week week with minimal effort on my part--tomato and red pepper quiche or leftover gravybread or peanut butter pancakes drenched in syrup. Yummm. In fact, many of my brighter moments over the past couple weeks have been food related. Oh well. Even Thomas Smith said God uses our love of food to bring us close to Him. Well, not in so many words.

Speaking of Thomas Smith, 10 points to STM for an awesome (pre)Lenten series. I love learning about our rich history and tradition through the eyes of someone who knows Hebrew and the Bible like the back of his hand.

Well, there you go. I had some pretty good things happen recently after all. And I think to celebrate that discovery, I'm gonna go have some more dessert (cake was at the dinner tonight) and watch some movie trailers online. And then I'm settling down for a good night's sleep (which, by the way was the top answer in a poll of 50,000 women who were asked what they wanted most. Romance was last. I'll take both if someone's offering.)

No comments:

I reserve the right to make this blog as worthless to read as I feel like, and also to write as infrequently as I deem necessary. Just thought I'd let you know since I finally decided to share my blog.