Saturday, June 20, 2009

The other me

I'm closing in on 100 posts folks. Pretty soon I'll have time to blog more regularly. For now, I just wanted to punch out some thoughts so that my head is clear enough to get another great 10 hours of sleep. I love having a weekend to myself. It's amazing for morale.

Post topic: Tonight I saw The Proposal. It was essentially what the critics said: recycled movie ideas, but decent enough if romantic comedy is your cup of tea. There were things about it that I didn't love. But that's not the point. The point is, a scene in the movie has my "nostalgia for the future" cranking at a fast pace. They are talking as they fall asleep and Margaret starts listing off things about herself that Andrew doesn't know. Things that being an executive assistant wouldn't tell you about a person's life and past. Things that a fiance should know. And I wanted to have that conversation with somebody. It's why I like changing my facebook profile, to be able to say a little extra something about me and what makes me who I am. I was already talking with Coco tonight about things that only people very close to me know, so I'm gonna lay some of it out for the purposes of not having my mind running through this potential future conversation while I'm trying to go to sleep. That was a long explanation for a post topic, but here goes:

I get goosebumps when other people chew ice, ice cream, popsicles, anything. I can't watch it or hear it or think about it. I just got goosebumps right now. I put my pants on left leg first. When I was little I wanted to be an architect, a jockey, a marine biologist, and a cowgirl. Well, I still want to be a cowgirl. The first book I remember reading is The Pup Went Up. When Laura and I had bunk beds, if I couldn't sleep, sometimes I would toss and turn to make the bed squeak so she would wake up and talk to me. I was devastated when my dad ran over my tricycle wheel with his car. Even though I think smoking is disgusting, I used to love candy cigarettes because I still felt cool pretending to smoke. I like playing ping pong with people I don't know because they are always surprised that I can hold my own. I love wearing soccer cleats because it makes me feel like I am a better soccer player than I actually am. My favorite ice cream is Vanilla Swiss Almond. I have never had a manicure or pedicure. I don't have any good scar stories because the scar on my eyebrow from a head-first dive into the coffee table faded a long time ago. Mia Hamm signed my cast when I broke my leg and Julie Foudy thinks that my leg was broken because my brother fell on it. I've been swimming with sharks--no cage. I wish that more people understood my job. I'm a bad driver. I like to walk around when I brush my teeth. I am a closet Hanson fan, which I guess now just makes me a Hanson fan. The first time I dyed my hair, I was too much of a sissy to go bold and in the end, you couldn't even tell the difference. I have no food allergies, but I might as well be allergic to olives. I used to dance around the living room with the four-foot-tall inflatable Santa and pretend I was at my wedding. Sometimes I drink coffee without sweetener just to prove I like it (which I do, I just prefer Splenda). I like the way my handwriting looks when I use a fine-point Sharpie. I once tried to tie-dye a pair of canvas shoes.

Alright. I've tried to stay away from the easy things. My favorite song is Come Monday. My favorite color is purple. I hate my hair and my toes. I can't wink or whistle. And now I'm out of ideas and I'm tired. Which I suppose was sort of the point. Good night.

2 comments:

Laura Zaps said...

I put my pants on right leg first. I didn't know that. I had to change pants to find out. Now I know.

Lauren said...

I love learning these things about people as well as sharing them. I loved when everyone put up 25 things on facebook, and I love that I get to stalk people's blogs. I was thinking about you and Laura today, and this made my evening.

Hope you don't think I'm too creepy.

Lauren Urban

I reserve the right to make this blog as worthless to read as I feel like, and also to write as infrequently as I deem necessary. Just thought I'd let you know since I finally decided to share my blog.